Thursday, November 5, 2015

Great to be Back!

It has been eye-opening to have an illness/injury that required me to miss work for an extended period.  This experience allowed me to spend a great deal of time reflecting on the truly important aspects of my life, how important good health is, how it impacts the decisions we make and how we look at life.  

At times, we all get caught up in our daily hustle and bustle of work, chores and responsibilities, but when unexpected health concerns surface, we are forced to slow down and evaluate the frantic pace of our lives.

During my recovery, I was able to gain a renewed appreciation for the people I am surrounded by, including my family, friends, colleagues, and students.  I have been blessed to be in a job that brings so many wonderful people into a great work environment with an amazing sense of purpose.  

Teaching and working with students is, for me, a fantastic occupation.  No day is ever the same.  It is exciting to be a part of a group of teachers, administrators and students who frequently come together with new and amazing ideas, and are always willing to take on new challenges.

I have always been a fan of John Wooden, and one of his favorite poems by Ogden Nash sums up what I have come to discover.

      Sometime when you’re feeling important, sometime when your ego’s in bloom
      Sometime when you take it for granted, you’re the best qualified in the room.
      Sometime when you feel that your going would leave an unfillable hole,
      Just follow this simple instruction, and see how it humbles your soul.

      Take a bucket and fill it with water; put your hand in it up to the wrist.
      Pull it out, and the hole that’s remaining, is the measure of how you’ll be missed.
      You may splash all you please when you enter; you can stir up the water galore;
       But stop, and you’ll find in a minute, that it looks quite the same as before.
       The moral in this quaint example, is to do just the best that you can.
       Be proud of yourself, but remember, there is no indispensable man!


I would like to express my appreciation to everyone that reached out to me during this time, provided words of encouragement and expressed their concern for my recovery.   One thing I have learned is to never take these people, or my family, for granted.  

It is important to always make it a priority to spend time with those who care about you, and appreciate the opportunities we have to make a difference in others lives.  I am very grateful to be back to work, and look forward to working with all of you this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment