Thursday, February 18, 2016

Superintendent Goals are Important to Planning



Each year I set goals for myself and share them with the Board of Education.  We review my progress toward these goals quarterly and at the end of each fiscal year.  I like to challenge myself each year and do my best to reach each and every goal set.  My objective is to set goals that are challenging but realistic and attainable.  They should ultimately help our district improve. This year my Academic Performance Objective in the emerging trends category is a goal that I am extremely passionate about.  It is so critical that each of our students has a career path and idea of what their passion is before leaving school. Getting to know our students, developing positive relationships, personalizing our instruction and making every student college and career ready is a lofty but worthwhile goal. 



All Vermilion employees are expected to accept responsibility for the mission and vision established for our district.  I will continue to be committed each day to keeping students as the focus of every decision we make, and to the vision of working with our staff to inspire each of students to be leaders and lifelong learners.  My commitment to these methods of improvement is shown in the full list of my goals for the 2016-2017 school year (see separate article). 



In July I will complete 8 years as Superintendent in the Vermilion Local School District. Prior to coming to Vermilion I held positions as an assistant principal, principal and assistant superintendent.   The experience gained was helpful, but could not prepare me for all of the aspects encountered in a new job.   Paul Kalanithi, in his book, "When Breath Becomes Air"* talks about this phenomena.  Paul was a neurosurgeon who passed away at the young age of 36.  Before he passed he described the process it took to go from the brutal hours of a resident doctor to becoming a full-fledged surgeon.  He described the residency as being a relatively protected and isolated environment, without total responsibility.  After completing the residency he felt the weight of complete responsibility as he described to patients and their families the possibility of a lifetime of severe pain, life support and even death as a result of a one millimeter miscue with a scalpel during an upcoming operation.   While my decisions are often difficulty, the role of Superintendent is not comparable to the decisions a neurosurgeon must make.  It is almost unimaginable to me to that I would literally have the responsibility of a life in my hands each time I went to work! 



People have often commented to me that they wouldn't want my job because of the number of decisions that must be made and the fact that they can't make everyone happy.  That is true and I have learned that I can never make everyone happy with decisions I make.  Fortunately, I rarely have to make instant decisions and have the luxury of time to consider all of the ramifications of the issue before making a decision. I believe the education profession parallels the medical profession in a many ways, and I consider myself very grateful to be working in a career that makes an impact on the future lives of young people.   It is very gratifying to watch our students come in as young boys and girls, proceed through young adulthood into high school graduation then be ready to go out into the world with a  passion for what they love to do.  I believe that student success is a largely the result of being taught by our talented teachers and being supported by loving families.  It is a very humbling and gratifying to be able to come to a place that I get to see students make progress every day.  



The past 8 years in the district have been a whirlwind and I reflect back with fond memories on how much has changed in my life, both personally and professionally.  I was in the 27th year of our marriage when I first began in Vermilion and am now in the 33 year of marriage to my beautiful wife Nahid who is supportive, loving, is a terrific mother and even better grandmother!  During this time I watched both of my sons get married and now have 3 terrific grandchildren with another on the way.  My younger son, Matthew, has been in the teaching profession for 7 years in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. His wife, Kristen, is an Ohio State graduate in nutrition, but is a doing the valuable job of being a stay at home mom for our granddaughters Madyson, age 6 and Lilia, age 2.  My older son, Michael, runs a successful business and his wife Lindsay is a teacher at CMSD.  They both take care of our 2 year old grandson Jaxson. We are so excited about the arrival of our new grandson who is set to arrive in March. Below are some photos of the family.  As you can see I have much to be thankful for.



I would like to thank the community for your ideas, commitment and support during my time here in Vermilion, and look forward to our continued collaboration as we guide children and grandchildren to successful lives and careers.  As always, I value your input, and hope that you will contact me if you have ideas or suggestions to share. 



* “When Breath Becomes Air” by Paul Kalanithi is available from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. 

Nahid and Mady

Mady and Grandpa
Matthew, Kristen, Madyson, Lilia




Michael, Lindsay, Jaxson
Jaxson and Dad
Lilia and Dad






Jaxson







No comments:

Post a Comment